Incident DetailsCause of Death:
Town Marshal Olaf Riser was electrocuted in the Miller Town Hall.
He was killed instantly when he came in contact with a live wire containing 33,000 volts of electricity while turning off the town's street lights for the evening in the light plant.
Town Marshal Riser also served as the fire chief of the Miller Fire Department. He was single and survived by three brothers and two sisters.
The Miller Town Hall, at 6300 Miller Avenue in Gary, was built in 1911. After Miller was annexed into Gary, it served as Fire Station #7 from 1920 until 1975. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 7, 1978 and listed on the Indiana Register of Historic Sites and Structures on June 22, 1977.
The responsibilities of the Miller Town Marshal's Office (1907–1918) are now under the jurisdiction of the Gary Police Department.